Monday, June 9, 2008

Huddled Masses ...

New York Times photo of Puerto Rican Day Parade

Today, my pals J. and L. saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time, perhaps at the exact same moment I sat at my little desk doing a bit of fact checking about Lady Liberty. (Not a lie. I really did such research today. By assignment. Interesting.) Yesterday though, I really learned about it. Yesterday, I became one with the huddled masses yearning to breathe free. Literally.

Imagine the scene above with about a million more people, all of them wearing some sort of Puerto Rican flag apparel and not much else. All of them cheering and sweating and imbibing. Imagine it to be obscenely hot and humid. Then remember that I have very little street cred on the streets of SLC, and absolutely none on the streets of NYC, especially while wearing a bubble-gum pink t-shirt and denim skirt to my knees and holding a map of the Met that proves I wandered into the crowds of the Puerto Rican Day Parade absolutely accidentally. Unfortunately, one cannot wander out quite so easily. Yes, waiting behind a police barricade for 15 minutes just to cross the street, squished and smashed against a whole throng of sweltering, swearing people and trying to avoid stepping in horse manure certainly breathes new meaning into yearning for freedom ...

P.S. Yes, my own photos of NYC to come soon ...

4 comments:

Tracie said...

NYC last week sounds a lot like a week last year in DC when we moved a certain law school student to her new home away from home. Humidity and heat are bad enough alone, but when combined make for a wet and sticky situation! How was the hair???

Katie Blacker said...

Yes, NYC pics! I can't wait to see what you women have been up to :)

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

This is the best explanation of NYC crowds I have ever read! And I loved the bubble-gum pink shirt by the way.

Holly and Dave said...

i've learned to try to watch parades from a distance. too bad the map of the met didn't outline the parade route for you. at least you fought long and hard and finally achieved freedom!