Tuesday, January 12, 2010

28 will be great ...

I turned 28. I am not super thrilled about this development in my life. I am now how old I will be when I graduate from law school. A very old age to my 25-year-old thinking-about-how-old-I-would-be-when-I-graduated-from-law-school self. The age I become an actual adult. Did I mention I am not super thrilled about this development in my life?! But I have decided to start being positive about it anyway.

So, I have two goals for the year. First, every morning when I wake up, I will repeat to myself: "28 will be great." (Note to those two readers enthused about the interactivity part of the blog: You can repeat that to yourself too. Although it probably helps if your age has an 8 in it. If you are 29, or 39, or 49, however, you could repeat the equally rhyming but not as powerful, "29 will be fine." If you are 50, you can say "50 will be nifty." Also: 27 will be heaven, 36 is full of tricks, 45 is so alive, 54 is so much more, 63 is full of glee, lots to do at 72, 81 is very fun, and so on. There, interactive!) Next, I am going to do scary things. And be brave while doing them. I should admit that I am not even going to attempt not to be scared of things. That would be impossible, and if I decided not to be scared of things, I would have no chance to be brave. And bravery is an important part of the plan. I should also report that I am going to be very generous in my definition of what constitutes a scary thing. This week for example, I went up to our attic. That was scary. In July, I will take the bar. That is scary too.

The yellow-wearers at my yellow birthday party

So far, 28 is great. So was celebrating the last days of being 27, since I actually celebrated for three days straight. Yes, I have a good life. And really good friends. One (of many) example: Meradyth made a yellow cake for me, with yellow frosting and candles spelling out (numbering out?!) 28. Unfortunately, the 2 candle broke in half. Mer and I tried to superglue it together. That did not work, although we did succeed in supergluing ourselves and our counter top. Then we tried to pin it together with a toothpick. That did not work. So we tried a needle. That did not work. So we put more scientific minds to work:

Our resident mathematical genius Carly attempted to melt the candle back together.

To no avail.

Brad, however, used his stellar dental skills and some frosting to cement the candle together.

Hooray! Sweet success ...

9 comments:

carly said...

I love your goal about being brave AND your morning phrases....I hope I actually hear you say that to yourself someday

Erica Huff said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day. What a great year this will be for you!

Megan said...

Okay, for the next two and a half months, I'm going to say to myself everyday, "24 like never before," and then starting April 3rd it will be "25 is my year to thrive." :) I love you Cal.

Katie Blacker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J. said...

I LOVE my call to blog action. I totally need the kick from you. I posted, BUT it's not the one I had in mind, so I will be posting something else soon. Then YOUR turn.

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

I like the saying "28 will be great!" I am going to have to use that one when I turn 28 next month. It's funny though, cause I still don't really feel like an adult. I wonder if I ever will:)

I love your yellow b-day party! So Callie:)

Holly and Dave said...

first of all, happy birthday! second: every time i wear my yellow hat i think of you. third: the bar (i imagine) is very scary. that's not being generous. fourth: thanks for the inspirational chants. i'm a bit nervous about 27 around the corner but now i know it "will be heaven".

Mer said...

I know this was a long time ago (almost a year), but I just have to leave a comment letting everyone know that I wasn't wearing a flowery dress or something. I'm wearing an apron....the one Callie made me for Christmas. Just so everyone knows. =)