Thursday, January 7, 2010

Last semester ...

I think my last semester of law school will be quite interesting. So far, I like my classes. One problem: literally every one of my professors wrote the textbook we use for the class. This means they expect us to do things like read all of the notes that follow the cases. And remember them. This could be problematic for my life. Other than that I have no complaints.

And now, remember how this blog has become interactive and fun in 2010?! Well, you should. Because I now give you a matching game. Match the class with the excerpt from a case. For an added bonus, you can consider whether the court would still agree with its statement in the case ...

1. Family Law
2. First Amendment Law
3. Trademark and Unfair Competition Law

a. "Those who won our independence ... valued liberty both as an end and as a means. They believed liberty to be the secret of happiness and courage to be the secret of liberty. They believed ... that the greatest menace to freedom is an inert people. ... They knew the risks to which all human institutions are subject. But they knew that order cannot be secured merely through fear of punishment for its infraction; that it is hazardous to discourage thought, hope and imagination; that fear breeds repression; that repression breeds hate; that hate menaces stable government; that the path of safety lies in the opportunity to discuss freely supposed grievances and proposed remedies; and that the fitting remedy for evil counsels is good ones." ~ Whitney v. California, 1927

b. "In 1985, Cosmair, Inc., concluded that young women craved pink and blue hair. ... Apparently the teenagers of the late 1980s had better taste than Cosmair's marketing staff thought." ~ Zazu Designs v. L'Oreal, 1992

c. "Marriage is a coming together for better or for worse, hopefully enduring, and intimate to the degree of being sacred. It is an association that promotes a way of life, not causes; a harmony in living, not political faiths; a bilateral loyalty, not commercial or social projects. Yet it is an association for as noble a purpose as any involved in our prior decisions." ~ Griswold v. Connecticut, 1965

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Katie said...

Crap. I still secretly want pink hair. Apparently I have worse taste than teenagers of the late '80s. I'm pretty sure that's considered a life fail.

Megan said...

1-c
2-a
3-b
Do I get a prize if I get them right? Like maybe a girls' night with you, Andrea, and Carly to go see "When in Rome"? I can get cheap tickets!

Callie said...

Megan, yes, you are correct. And if When in Rome is that movie with that one girl from Mamma Mia and the love letters then YES a girls' night to that is indeed the prize. I really really want to see that.

Tracie said...

I like this interactive business, keep it up - it's lots of fun.