Monday, November 10, 2008

Reading The Last Page First ...

Much has changed since my last post. (Enough to warrant the supply of peppermint ice cream I purchased today, I think.) We elected ourselves a new president, my little sister turned 21, and the Christmas lights and ice skating rink have reappeared on Pentagon Row. For the record, I like change. Sometimes. In moderation. When I choose it. And usually, when I can see it coming. Which explains why I read the last page first. OK, not exactly first. But almost. I read the last page in any book that I like, as soon as I have decided that I like it. As soon as I forget about my real life and instead curl up on the couch in my pajamas and blanket and read and read and read. And I actually usually read the entire last chapter. I tell myself this would be a compliment to the writer, that I cannot wait until the end to see what will happen to these people who suddenly became real to me. But when I really think about it, no writer would be happy about this. Because as soon as I read the last chapter, and know the ending, happily ever after or not, I hurry through the rest of the book to make sense of it all. And I invariably miss something in the process, some of the magic in the middle perhaps, in my hurry to figure out how The End happened. So I am turning over a new leaf. And reading my current book the proper way, the patient way, the way the writer intended. Just to see what happens ...

7 comments:

J. said...

Profound. I love it. I too need to enjoy the middle. No more endings first! In all aspects:)

Nicole said...

Soooo....what book are you currently reading???

Holly and Dave said...

way to go callie. i'm proud of you. i think reading books the proper way just prepares us for real life- we don't know the outcome until it happens, and it will still be okay.

Julie said...

I used to always do that! Yeah, what book are you reading?

Katie Blacker said...

I Like this post. it reminds me of Andy Rooney's thoughts at the end of 60 minutes. I did not know this about you. but, seems very applicable in many ways to everyone.

Tracie said...

I don't know about you, but I think I'm just too curious to have read the entire book before I know the ending. Authors shouldn't be too upset - we did read their book!

P.S. said...

This post reminds me of dating. It seems as though we are always rushing the middle steps but now that I am married I look back at the those times and treasure them the most. They were stress free, comfortable and just fun.