Monday, February 16, 2009

Oh, Boston ...

I have long suspected that I would really like Boston. Well, I now know that I LOVE Boston. A lot. Even in February. So I give you my Boston Top Ten in photos:

#10. Candlepin Bowling, apparently a New England tradition. I did not win. But I had fun all the same. (Which says a lot for a singles activity on February 14th.)

#9. Concord, in general. (For the very best part of Concord, see #1.)

Hawthorne's House


Walden Pond. We did a drive-by, because well, it was really cold and we were really tired. I am not sure what Thoreau would think of this type of visit to his pond. Actually, I am pretty sure he would be annoyed. Oh well. I like the other Concord writers better anyway.

North Bridge in Minute Man National Historical Park. Famous for the "shot heard round the world."

#8. Quincy home of John Adams. We did not get to go inside, but since I am reading about him right now, I liked seeing this, even just from the outside.


#7. Cliff Walk in Newport, Rhode Island. Cold.


#6. Freedom Trail.


Paul Revere statue outside the Old North Church ... where they hung the lanterns ... one if by land, two if by sea.


Paul Revere House

Old State House. The Boston Massacre happened right outside.

Me posing reverently on the site of the Boston Massacre. (We will not talk about the less reverent pose where I pretended to be dying. Really hideous photos should not go on the blog.)

Quincy Market, where we ate dinner with our conference.


Faneuil Hall. Loved it once I could remember how to pronounce it (sort of like Nathaniel).


#5. Massachusetts State House. Sadly, we did not see the House of Representatives Chamber, where a huge cod supposedly hangs from the ceiling. But we did decide to support paid sick leave to get a nice free lunch from some lobbyists.


And some things that should not go on the blog go there anyway.

#4. Harvard

Pound Hall, site of our J. Reuben Clark Law Society Conference. (So next time I say, "In my class at Harvard," you know I am telling the truth but really just attempting to sound smart.)


Pretty building. I took lots of pictures of the pretty buildings. I am pretty sure that I randomly fell shortly after I took this one. So now I have a pretty purple bruise and accompanying scab.

I really loved the gates at Harvard. All of them.



I would have loved the library more if they had let me inside. Attending a conference does not make you a Harvard student, which you must be to actually see the library.

#3. Boston Public Library. They actually let me inside this one, which happens to be the first one in the nation. I loved it.


#2. Cemeteries. I saw many, and loved them all. (Did not see the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery with the authors, so I must return.)




And, drumroll please ...

#1. Louisa May Alcott House, where she wrote Little Women. We took the tour. I loved it so much I nearly cried. Seriously. I especially loved learning that Louisa had calla lilies painted on her wall (by her younger sister, May) and she was ambidextrous (so I guess I should start practicing my left-handed writing again if I really want to earn my self-chosen middle name ...)


And even better than seeing the house was seeing it with my friend N., who kindly let C. and I stay at her house for our amazing Boston weekend ...

6 comments:

J. said...

Ok Cal, this deserves on Oh My Gosh! Of course you love Boston. Will you go back there with me? Thoreau, Hawthorne, John Adams, and Alcott! Wow. I'm jealous. Lovely documentation.

Tracie said...

I loved the pictures! Boston sounds like a "must see" - and the sooner the better.

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

What a fun trip! I went to Boston last summer, but we didn't have time to see as many sites. But we did see Harvard-didn't you think the eating area looked like the great hall in Harry Potter?
how long were you guys there? You got some fantastic pictures!

The Kidds said...

Oh! I've always wanted to go to Boston! I love your pictures and it looks like you had a lot of fun.

tiffany said...

Oh, Boston
and the "general hooker entrance"
thats where you belong

Nicole said...

Oh so fun!