Sunday, April 5, 2009

A few notes ...

This week, I finished writing my law review "note." Despite its name, this note did not fit on a gum wrapper or the back of a receipt, as a proper note should. This note involved 9,533 words, 40 pages and 140 footnotes, seven months of my time, and a style so formal that I became bored reading my own writing. This is serious, since I chose my own topic. And since I inherited the family trait of generally finding myself completely enthralling. But it turns out I was right all along: I am bad at long, scholarly writing. I prefer 500-word articles for the masses and poems for preschoolers. So, in the spirit of fewer words and sunny note-free days, a few pictures. With captions. Which defeats the fewer words part, but oh well ...

Yes, it is cherry blossom time in D.C. This, however, is not a picture of the cherry blossoms. This is a picture of a tree at Arlington Cemetery. Because while I did see the cherry blossoms yesterday, I did not see them with my camera in tow. Because I saw them while I was running. To the Mall. From my house. On purpose. (Although running into the cherry blossom parade was NOT on purpose. Oops.) So I am once again attempting to like running. I know I once vowed not to attempt such a feat ever again. But I really like to eat cookies. You do the math. So far, so good this time. It turns out that I am much better at running when I have an actual goal rather than an aimless plan "to run." I sense a life lesson there, but it is not that kind of blog post, so there.

C. and I hosted a little bridal shower yesterday. This picture shows three important things. First, we are adorable. I know. Second, I am quite adept at choosing tulips. (Thank you, Costco.) Third, these are the cookies I like to eat. You should probably click on this picture to enlarge it so you get a better view. But apparently not every girl at a bridal shower likes cookies in the same quantity as I do. So I have a nice supply of them at my house. Which means I must continue with the running.

We went to Arlington Cemetery today between General Conference sessions. And neither subject deserves silly, sarcastic commentary from me ...

8 comments:

Anna said...

I like the silly, sarcastic C. commentary :)

Your cookies look delish, want to send me the extras? :)

Katie Blacker said...

wow it has been awhile for me to visit your blog. i don't have a good excuse. But, I have missed out! you are hilarious. really. such a good writer. not that you already don't have a good idea about that considering your many oppotrunities & accomplishments...

and yes, you and C are adorable!

Holly and Dave said...

and are those cadbury mini eggs i see i a bowl on the table? if i had been there, you wouldn't have had any of those left. and the choco-berries? delish! yes, you are adorable.

J. said...

Arlington with the flowers is gorgeous. That was one of my favorite sites in DC. About the "note" you deserve to buy a lot of books after writing that thing. Wow! Congrats. Now get your butt to SLC. :)

P.S. said...

I would love to hear your comments on conference. I'm sure you'd have very good insights on things that went over my head. And you are adorable.
I can't wait to see you!

Laura & Tyson said...

I will eat any leftover cookies!

Autumn Day said...

YOU DID IT!! YOU FINISHED IT!! ALL 40 PAGES! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Laura said...

WOW - you are so amazing Cal! Congrats on finishing your "note". That is truly an accomplishment to be proud of! I need to talk to you my friend! I will call...