Thursday, April 23, 2009

Miscellaneousness ...

Two finals down, one to go. I am trying to focus on studying. Trying being the operative word.

The scene: Carly and I sitting at neighboring tables, facing each other, in a study room at school. I am sitting next to a large window. It is raining outside. Apparently I find this fascinating. I notice Carly laughing. She comes over to explain:
Carly: Every time I have looked over at you in the past two hours you have been staring out the window.
Me: It is pretty outside. (I proceed to keep attempting to study. And yes, I keep looking out the window. Only now, every time I look out the window, I get embarrassed, and I look over at Carly to see if she noticed.)

So the next day I decided to go to the study room at the local public library. I sat at a table in the middle of the room, trying to avoid the temptation of the window. That worked. But our library has quite an eclectic population of patrons who check out the book sale in the study room. So instead of staring out the window, I stared at the people. (Yes, my mother did try to teach me manners. But I mind them selectively.) I especially liked the 70ish man with a braided ponytail pulled through the back of a very vibrant orange hat. He spent some time thumbing through The Devil Wears Prada. Ultimately, he decided not to buy it. But it seemed like a difficult decision.

And in unrelated news, I am giving up the only-using-initials-on-the-blog business. Now I am advancing to the first-names-only business. I think this means that I am beginning to forget the horror stories about identity theft I heard at the bank. Speaking of (OK, writing of) the bank, I think I might be the first person in the history of GW Law to bring a made-for-children (and plastered with the Zions Bank logo) ruler calculator to a final. Yep. Like any dedicated public relations officer, I am still spreading the good word about my former employer nearly two years later ...

6 comments:

Autumn Day said...

I love your child's ruler comment. You must be comfortable in your own skin to actually take and use it and then to admit to doing so! By the way...this is mom-I'm on A's computer!

carly said...

Haha, i love the story about the man in the ponytail with the devil wear's prada...so funny!

Erica Huff said...

Good luck with your finals. Are you headed home for the summer?

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

I love that ponytail man! That is so funny. So, Thursday is the last day right? Yeah! You are almost there. Thanks again for the pancake recipe-they are sooo good! Kevin really liked them too:)

tiffany said...

Callie,
You are going to DIE when I tell you my latest! No, I'm not pregnant but you better call me soon to find out the real news...Okay I'll just tell you now, I'm engaged!!! He proposed last week in Toronto. CALL ME!!!
Luvs,
Tiff

Chris and Jen said...

Are you home yet? Let's do lunch with you, me, and April.