Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snowed in ...



I am snowed in. Here we call it snowpocalypse. Except that I have not really called it anything until I just typed it, but other people say it all the time so I guess I am now part of we. This means I have loads of time to do whatever I want without leaving my house. Except that yesterday I had to leave my house. On a Friday. All day long. And this very rarely happens to me because I am still in my happy place where I have no worries or cares like actual adults. (OK, so according to the Ensign this month I am supposed to already consider myself an actual adult and behave accordingly. But that article did not seem to be entirely doctrinal, so I am going to take it more as helpful advice than actual commandment.) Anyway. So yesterday I had to be at school all day, which means 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. But I also got to meet and arrange dinner for two delightfully friendly federal appeals court judges and their spouses. And a bunch of other law-type people. So I guess I should not complain.

I should probably also not complain about how my school finds it helpful to post a graduation counter on the law school web page. Today it told me I officially graduate from law school in 99 days. I am down to double digits. I do not like to think about this fact. I suppose I should, since in the next 99 days I need to formally apply for the bar, decide where to study for the bar, potentially decide where to move should my old bedroom be otherwise occupied or should I remember my actual age, potentially decide how to transport all the belongings that have multiplied in the last three years, and so on. But none of those decisions seem particularly pleasant. I want to blissfully enjoy my last 99 days of my current life, sans decisions. Except that being me, even when I am being carefree, I am being careful too. I have a list on my wall reminding me what I want to do before I leave here. Which I like in theory, because it means I do fun things I really want to do, but then while I do them I remember I am leaving. And sometimes even when I try not to think about the impending end of life as I know it, I forget to forget. I worry. I forget I do not have to make the 99th-day decisions today. But I know that I have to make them soon. And I am not sure if "soon" will come before "I know" and "I am ready." I hate that.

So, moving on. Back to the snow. We have it. Lots of it. And today I left my house only to go outside and enjoy it. For now, I hope it never melts ...

5 comments:

Katie Blacker said...

wow that is a lot of snow! I keep hearing on the news about how the storm is "hitting DC area hard". and i think of you. wow 99 days huh? crazy town.

Chris and Jen said...

99 days until I see you!!!! Well...hopefully not long after that anway!!

Chris still hasn't left, so looks like we'll be in Utah through the end of summer at least...

What this means for you...is you need to move to Utah ASAP and study for the BAR here. That way...we can spend some time together before I move.

J. said...

Snowed in!!

I for one am happy it's only in the double digits. Your post made me remember our major senior break downs in college. Change is always a bit scary, but like you said you have plenty of time to let things shake into place:)

Tracie said...

I'm so jealous of your snow. I could enjoy sitting around the house for 3 days in my PJ's!

Katie said...

Ha! Remembering your real age is for suckers. Like my mom says: I may have to get older, but I can remain immature forever.

I like her.

And I like you.