Thursday, February 18, 2010

Regular life ...

I survived almost an entire week of regular life. Except that we had Monday off, and since I seldom have school on Fridays, I have no school tomorrow. (Note that I said seldom. Two weeks ago I would have said never, but now I do have class some Fridays to make up classes we missed during our week of snow. I know, I have a really challenging school schedule.) Anyway, I survived my Tuesday through Thursday, with nothing new to report, except my commute.

It used to be this:

1. Walk (on sidewalk) to Metro station
2. Ride Metro
3. Walk to school

Now it is this:

1. Walk down my slushy street. Climb over large pile of gray snow to partially shoveled sidewalk. Walk one block. Climb over large pile of gray snow to exit sidewalk. Cross street. Climb over large pile of gray snow to sidewalk. Walk one block. Etc. Occasionally there will be a requirement to jump over a slushy pile of melting snow or to cross the street to find a more partially shoveled sidewalk. This continues for five blocks until arriving at the Metro station.
2. Ride Metro
3. Walk to school, trying to avoid patch of ice where I slipped and fell on Tuesday, before I had really mastered the snow commute ...

P.S. Memo to the people in charge at NBC: When someone has just won a gold medal, after being injured, and is hugging her husband and clearly having a moment, the camera does not actually need to record the entire scene. Your camera crew can pan to things like snow-covered trees, and the cheering crowd, and the falling snow, after five seconds of the hugging. We are glad they are hugging. We think they should hug. But we also think they should get 20 seconds to themselves.

P.P.S. Memo to the people in charge at the Express: When someone has just won a gold medal, after being injured, your article about her achievement does not need to note that she hugged her husband for a full 30 seconds. We a) assume she hugged her husband, b) like that she hugged her husband, and c) do not care about the length of the hug. If you really need to add some extra words, tell us why the silver medalist thinks she should wear a tiara when, ahem, she did not actually win the race.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Hehehe... I like the part about the Olympics. Actually, I like it all. I hope you are not in pain from the fall.

Katie Blacker said...

i was thinking the same thing about that moment from the olympics. Kind of awkward for the viewer. I hope you have some boots to handle that crazy snowy commute.

Erica Huff said...

I read this yesterday and can't stop laughing about the tiara. I thought the exact same thing and I keep chuckling about it. Good luck with the snow and your short time remaining in school! :)

Kallee said...

Sometimes the Olympics are just too cheesy for me to handle: the music, the warm fuzzy stories, Bob Costas's sappy comments.
P.S. I knew you of all people would be able to identify the Anne of Avonlea quote.

Autumn Day said...

Wow I don't think I have ever missed you more.

J. said...

I need another Callie post stat. Just sayin'