Monday, February 4, 2008

Big Girls Don't Cry ...

Actually, they do. Some daily, some rarely, but they do cry. Actually, so do boys. And actually, I do not care, and I do not want to read about it on CNN as if it matters. I do not care if Hillary does or does not cry. I do not consider anyone, male or female, an emotional wreck if s/he tears up occasionally in the midst of a grueling campaign. Likewise, I do not consider anyone an emotionless machine simply because s/he does not sit on Oprah's couch and cry me a river. (Well, I don't watch Oprah, so I guess s/he'd be crying someone else a river there. And I guess Oprah would not be inviting the she candidate onto her couch anytime soon. But I think you get the idea.)

If we had a candidate who cried at every campaign rally and press conference, then yes, I think that should be reported and taken into consideration. But really. Do I care if Hillary faked her teary episodes? Does that make her any different than some man, or woman, who really wants to cry but refuses because it would look bad? No. These tears do not make her different than other candidates. Does it make her more condescending, if she cries on the eve of two major primaries merely because crying will win her votes? Maybe. But women have never voted for a candidate simply because he cried, and it would be disheartening to think that we would do so now. Last time I checked, we voted for a candidate not a gender. If a few tears make a difference tomorrow, and if a few tears elect us our first woman president, well, that will be reason to cry ...

P.S. My last post has mysteriously disappeared. I will repost it soon ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would just like to say that personally, I was disgusted by Hillary's little emotional jag. The reasons are three fold. First- does Hillary really seem like the type of woman who cries frequently? The correct answer is no. It was clearly some ill advised pr move, trying to get votes by acquiescing to a stereotype. Bleg. Second- I am sorry, I don't care whether a man would have done the same thing. That is not the issue. The issue is I don't want to elect any human being that can't bloody well control their emotions on national television. And if they can't handle the stress of a campaign, what do they think being elected will bring? Tranquility from long lunches in the rose garden? I think not. Third- Our country needs a president who excels at foreign policy. And a lot of foreign policy--like all things political--revolves around perception. Maybe its just because I am a pr major, but image does mean something. We have already suffered from a president that looks intellectually lacking, now we have one who is emotionally overflowing? We are the most powerful country in the world, and that idea holds advantages. Lets not negate those by grabbing the kleenexes while enemies grab nuclear codes. Thank you, I am done.