Sunday, February 10, 2008

High School Revisited ...

Lately law school reminds me of the movie version of high school. First, the internship search, which feels like the stereotypical college-application process. Counselors force us to listen to their inane presentations about how to write a resume and a cover letter. Some people go crazy and apply to literally hundreds of places. Then we all go to the school internship fair, where employers try to interview as many of us as possible in a four-hour period. I survived three such interviews yesterday. The first one seemed relatively normal. The next interviewer began by saying, "I am impressed you have so much journalism experience out there in the middle of the country." Wow. Yes, ma'am, we learn how to read AND write, and sometimes we use these skills to publish newspapers about our rustic daily life in the Wild Wild West. Luckily, the third interviewer assumed that even Utahns watch television, and we discussed Grey's Anatomy more than my resume.


And remember that Grey's episode where they had a prom in the hospital? Well, that brings me to my next high school flashback: law school prom. Now, I liked my high school prom, but definitely not enough to want to repeat it eight years later. But I had a cute new dress and nowhere else to wear it, so C. and I went (together, alone). At said law school prom (technically Barrister's Ball) my friend R. and I talked about politics, like we frequently do. In the midst of the politics, he looked at me and said, "Are you a rebel?" Obviously, too much alcohol for R. tonight, if he thought "rebel" when he looked at the only girl in the room with clothing covering both shoulders and chest. (No exaggeration here, and thanks Nana!) He clarified. He meant Mormon rebel, since all the other Mormons he knew were already married ...



4 comments:

Nicole said...

That made me laugh! Dad would be so impressed that they teach both reading and writing at BY-High ;-) And you look very cute and very hip!

Brooke Woodall said...

C Where is that dress from?! I love it!!

Tracie said...

The dress and jacket looked great! Just remember that these life experiences make us stronger, better and smarter! Okay, I don't really know about the smarter part, but it sounded good don't you think?

Holly and Dave said...

i'm rolling about the naive interviewer... wow, and i thought it was the 21st century.