Thursday, August 7, 2008

Flowers In Iraq ...




A quote I read today, by an Iraqi man named Yousif Mohammed, who sells flowers in Baghdad:

"Everyone should love real flowers. If you have just enough money to buy bread, you should spend half of it on bread and the other half on flowers."

Makes me think of the flower stand outside the Metro. Last semester, I loved seeing boys from class buy a bouquet. Every time I witnessed this scenario (and it happened more than once) I would spend my train ride home wondering about the girl on the receiving end, and pondering the possible reasons for the purchase, and secretly hoping the boy had no reason at all ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I always wonder the same thing when I see men buying flowers. I'd like to think there are still lots of good men in the world who love to do those sweet things just because.

Erica Huff said...

Sweet post! Since the day we met, Matt has refused to buy flowers if we are fighting. He only wants them associated with happy. Granted, they are nice anytime but I do enjoy the sentiment more when they are just because flowers.

Katie Blacker said...

flowers for no reason are the best kind!

Tracie said...

WOW! Because someone read your blog (I won't mention any names) I just received a bouquet of flowers! The power of the written word! Thanks Callie.

J. said...

I love that you noticed the scene of boys buying flowers. No reason. Best reason