Friday, September 12, 2008

Dear Frontier Airlines ...

Thank you for infuriating me. Lately I have been pretty happy about the state of the world. (Well, not the state of the entire world. Just the state of my own world, excluding the reading assignments and interview issues that I choose to ignore.) Anyway, my happiness had sapped me of the sarcasm required to write interesting blog posts. But you, Frontier Airlines, have solved this problem, for which my two remaining readers will I am sure be very grateful.

Today I visited your counter at the airport to redeem a travel voucher. I had the necessary flight information, and I just needed one of your helpful employees to take the voucher and book the flight. Simple, really. So I sauntered up to your counter at about 1:30 p.m. and found your employee roping off the line. I asked him where I could redeem my voucher. He told me to wait until 2 p.m. I said, "Seriously?!" He said yes. I said, "You cannot just help me?" Or something along those lines. Let me note my tone of voice: incredulous. Not mean. I did not insult him, or even yell. I just asked my questions. He would not budge however, and walked away. So then I got annoyed. So I called Frontier Airlines to complain about the man and to try to make the reservation on the phone. The very helpful girl with the same name as my sister nearly restored my faith in Frontier. She made all the arrangements, so the man only had to take my voucher and give me a ticket. Simple. I wish.

I went back to the line at 1:50. A few other people had arrived. The Frontier man had come back to his post, too, but refused to help anyone until 2 p.m. Now, I should note that Frontier has TWO lines here. One for regular passengers. One for special passengers. (In Frontier lingo, "Summit" members.) I did not fit either category. I wanted to become a passenger, yes, but had not yet fulfilled that goal. So I chose the shortest line. After helping the man in front of me, the Frontier man asked me if I was a Summit member. I said no, I just needed my ticket. He said to go to the other line. So I explained to the first man in the other line that I had been there for 30 minutes, and could I just go in front. He said yes. Well, conveniently, there were NO ACTUAL SUMMIT MEMBERS in line. So I was once again next in line. (Yes, just like "Meet the Parents.") I went back to the Frontier man. He proceeded to tell me that he would not help me because I had argued with him before. EXCUSE ME?! Just what did he expect me to do when he told me to wait for 30 minutes?! Curtsy and thank him for giving me an opportunity to quietly collect my thoughts about the state of the world?! So I just said "Sorry, sir, could you please just get my ticket?" He finally agreed, and I proceeded to answer his questions with one-word answers, occasionally adding a haughty "sir" for good measure. I did not tell him that yes, I planned to send a letter to Frontier to note his role in the failure of our airline system, and that yes, I really did stare at his name badge while he booked my ticket and I wrote down all 15 letters of his unpronounceable last name, and that yes, I noticed that his lanyard had only two pins while his coworker had nearly 20, so clearly I am not the first to find his service despicable.

And Frontier, while I am complaining, I would be remiss to leave out my annoyance at your really cheesy theme. No one cares about the name of the wild animal on the tail of the plane ...

Sincerely,

C.

9 comments:

Erica Huff said...

I'm sorry about your difficulty. Frontier Airlines will miss your business! Enjoy your soon to be trip. I hope it is to somewhere exciting!

Tracie said...

Give them heck Callie! I think you should publish the letter you write to them - and you really should write them. However, I'm really glad you hung in there to get the ticket. See you soon!

Autumn Day said...

You go girl! (I am doing my wannabe black girl snap fingers in a z formation right now)

J. said...

I'm totally annoyed right now! Ug. You better write that letter. And I'm glad you hung in there, because it will benefit me when I get to see you!

Jessica said...

Callie, you're AWESOME! Glad you got your ticket! Can't wait to see you.
Make sure to send in your letter! Maybe they will take ONE of his TWO pins away!

Holly and Dave said...

i'm laughing out loud right now. i can't imagine you arguing with ANYONE, not to mention an airline employee. i wish you had this whole experience on video. you should read the book "Letters from a Nut"- you may get some good ideas for your own letters, now and in the future.

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

Way to go for standing up for yourself in the first place. What a jerk! I sure do hope you write that letter:)

The Kidds said...

Yes! I love that you are complaining! I do not understand why some companies have a hard time realizing that thier companies exist because of their customers- ergo- you should stop at nothing to make your customers happy. This is why I no longer shop at Target.

Anonymous said...

Bravo Cal! You have done it again! Thanks for the good laugh and entertaining story. Keep it comin'!