Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The More Things Change ...

... The more they stay the same. I move 2,000 miles away, stop working at a very conservative bank and start attending a very liberal school, where I could theoretically form an entirely new identity and join student groups ranging from the Chinese Language Group to Law Students for Reproductive Justice. (OK, maybe I would need to do a bit of studying before attending the Chinese Language Group. Actually, I'd need to do a bit of studying about reproductive justice, too. And I'd probably feel more comfortable speaking in Chinese than conversing about the latter.) Anyway, what do I choose to do? The law school newspaper. The same newspaper I had previously vowed not to read, let alone work for. Now I not only read it, but I design it. You would think I would have learned my lesson by now ...

Now, back to foreign languages. The cases I read sound increasingly foreign to me, which worries me with finals looming just one month away. Take United States v. Peterson, for example: "Hinged on the exigencies of self-preservation, the doctrine of homicidal self-defense emerges from the body of the criminal law as a limited though important exception to the legal outlawry of the arena of self-help in the settlement of potentially fatal personal conflicts."

I think I need to use more words like "outlawry" and "potentially fatal personal conflicts" in my writing ...

1 comment:

Tracie said...

You working for the newspaper does not surprise me (or probably anyone else who knows you!) I'm sure the newspaper will be whipped up into shape in no time. Going back to your last entry (White House) you look like you belong in the White House. Getting any ideas????