Thursday, November 29, 2007

Ode To My Profs ...

This first episode of law school brought to us by the letters M, B, B and B. (Yes, in honor of what felt like the last day of elementary school, when the teacher congratulates you for finishing while telling you how to survive the more difficult junior high tasks to come, I am reverting to the Sesame Street days.)

As of 2:35 p.m. today, I have officially finished one entire semester of law school classes. (Just the actual classes, mind you. I still have to take the finals.) But before I start studying all day every day and definitely before I start taking the actual finals (a frightening event set to begin next Wednesday at 2 p.m.) I pay tribute to those professors who made it all possible. (I also think I better write the nice words now, since as soon as the previously mentioned tasks begin to occur I will most certainly rethink this.)

For the last day of class, each professor had an inspiring speech prepared (and delivered in each case with great flair, as I am sure the law school professor manual suggests). One Prof. B told us to consider becoming personal injury attorneys. Another suggested becoming public defenders. But the real news of the day came during our last class, taught by my favorite, Prof. M. After telling us about the final exam, he told us he had been called to active duty. We all just stared at him. He quickly clarified that he would be on active duty in Virginia, as a military judge, and would still be our professor. We breathed a community sigh of relief.

Moral of the story: I really, really liked Profs. B, B, B and M. I liked that they gave us speeches about doing good along with doing well, and that they volunteered to be our mentors. I am quite confident that I will not like any of them one week from tonight, but for now, thanks ...

No comments: