Friday, May 2, 2008

What Law School Did Not Teach Me ...


I learned many, many things during my first year of law school. Things like the definitions of ancient Latin legal terms and when to sue the government for taking property. But I did not learn the really useful things, like how to transfer eyeshadow from a pot to a palette. That task required serious research, some experimentation, and a band-aid.

Obviously, this story requires background. (Warning: LONG rambling post ahead.) So, yesterday I finally finished my finals. Hooray! But, unfortunately, this means I no longer have an excuse for leaving the house without doing my hair and without wearing any makeup. (I wish I could say I am exaggerating this confession. But besides getting ready for church, my personal hygiene in the past month has been laughable at best.)

Finishing my finals also means I will be going home for a week and seeing people I know, which motivates me to at least attempt to look presentable. Which requires makeup. To make this fact seem more exciting, and to make it easier to pack my vast (cough cough) amounts of makeup, I bought two little EMPTY eyeshadow palettes. I foolishly thought it would be simple to take my old eye shadows out of their containers and put them in the palette.

Two phone calls, one Google search, 29 YouTube videos, one ruined eye shadow, one pair of tweezers, one peppermint candle and one hour later, I finished the task. (No, I did not watch all 29 YouTube videos on the topic of "repotting MAC eyeshadow." I only watched two. And yes, I did roll my eyes at the overly groomed girls who filmed themselves carefully assembling their tools and heating their eyeshadow case over a candle to melt the glue that makes the eye shadows stick in their containers. But then I stopped laughing and actually tried it. And it worked.)

But now I am too tired to pack my clothes. So, friends, when you see me for the first time in four months, do not look at my clothes, which will likely be unwashed, unmatching, and completely out of style. Just focus on my bloodshot eyes. Because I will definitely be wearing eye shadow ...

5 comments:

Katie Blacker said...

Haha I have never even heard of this eye shadow transaction. But, now that you have the skills they shouldn't go to waste. Maybe you could teach an enrichment about it, or better yet make your own how-to youtube clip. I am excited to see you! Utah just hasnt been the same since you left :)

J. said...

HAHA Cal, you must show me the ways when you are here, because I for one love MAC eyeshadow and would love the little handy palettes. Congrats on finishing. xoxo

Lincoln and Alisia said...

that was funny

Chris said...

Congrats on finishing your finals, Callie! Anna's being a real sport with my AWOL status during reading days and we have finals next week. Congrats on finishing your 1L year! Make sure to let us know your summer plans.

I am Laura said...

well, I know nothing about makeup and try hard not to wear it. At the beginning after reading your title and slightly looking at your picture, I thought you were going to talk about muffins that all turned out incredibly wrong.