Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Last Night ...

'Twas the night of my final, when all through my room,
We students were talking of test-taking doom;
Our books had been scattered without any care,
In hopes that some knowledge would float through the air.
The clock showed we should think of drifting to bed,
Though thoughts of the law still muddled our heads;
When what to my wondering eyes did appear,
But a huge, scary bug on my wall, very near!
With legs like a spider and stripes like a bee,
I screamed for my roommate to come over and see.
She, being the brave one, came back with a shoe,
(Apparently some girls know just what to do.)
She crouched and she lunged, and she aimed for the bug,
But it jumped up so high that she just hit our rug;
We screamed once again, now we knew it could jump,
And we wondered just how we could give it a bump.
We schemed and we thought of the ways it could die,
As we tried them in vain, fifteen minutes went by.
Finally injured, we wedged the bug in,
Its grasshopper tendencies starting to dim;
We killed it, indeed, and we flushed it away,
No more scaring poor students this first finals day.
But I think I could hear, as it drained out of sight,
Happy finals to all and to all a good night.





P.S. I am banning myself from the blog for the rest of finals. I will be back on December 13 ...



5 comments:

carly said...

Hahahahaha!! Oh man, that was so scary...I usually don't get too freaked out about bugs, but that bug was something else. It seriously did take us like 15 minutes to kill that thing. I hope we didn't wake up our neighbors. Callie, you are such a poet! I love it!

Lincoln and Alisia said...

OH MY GOSH. that was HILARIOUS! I can't believe it even rhymed too. And don't worry. We used to find at least 3 of those bugs a day in our apartment over the summer. I hate them with a passion!! And I still scream every time they jump.

Chris and Jen said...

LOL. How long did it take you to write that? Tisk Tisk Tisk! You should have been studying. Good luck on finals! Hopefully I can see you over break.

Katie Blacker said...

nice poem. nasty bug. And we'll miss you...see you the 13th

Anonymous said...

Oh I love it you clever girl! The best was the tupperwear over the bug. It reminds me of the time we saw a spider on our front porch in the Downington house. You hit it with a broom to "weaken" it and then covered it with a container. Several days later we lifted the container to find it almost completely suffocated and killed it. Oh the memories!