Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History, today ...

Inauguration Day, Capital C. style ...

1. The Cold. A nice icy view from the 14th Street bridge. We walked from our apartment to the National Mall, and survived the windy coldness on the bridge ...

2. The Capitol. We did not stand here the entire time, but I had to see it with my own eyes today. We did watch the Inauguration on that monitor, however, we just stood to the right a bit ...

3. The Crowd. We stood at the base of the Washington Monument, surrounded by 1.5 million of our closest friends ...

4. The Company. Me and A. at our actual viewing location.

5. The Cookies. So, to be honest, the crowd infuriated me. People started singing, "Hey, hey, hey, goodbye," when the first President Bush appeared on the screen, made loud snide comments about Vice President Cheney and booed when President Bush came out. Luckily, C. and I came prepared to protest politely. We clapped alone for President Bush and ate Texas cowboy cookies during his final moments in office just to spite the crazies around us. But I really wanted to tell them this: I did not vote for President Obama. But I like him. I think he will be good for us in many ways. And he is just as much my president as yours. And even when I disagree with him, I will still respect his office. And I would like to think you could manage to do the same for his predecessor today ...

8 comments:

Nicole said...

Here here, C. I couldn't agree with you more (ok maybe if I were currently eating a Cowboy Cookie while writing this, there would be a smidge more "agreement"!).

P.S. said...

agreed! Even Katie Couric and a few other journalists commented that those who booed President Bush are classless.
Today is about coming together and celebrating our one common thread, being American. No matter what side of the political fence we stand on. I feel bad for those people who missed the whole point of today.

J. said...

Remember when you said like five years ago that you WOULD be in Washington for an inauguration one day. And there you were.

Tracie said...

You have been part of history. I'm only sorry that it wasn't Mitt on the podium taking the oath - but good luck to the new president.

Chris and Jen said...

So jealous you were there. And thanks for representing us republicans well.

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

Man, I wish I was with you to celebrate! You are so cool!

Katie Blacker said...

i did see you...you were the one in the coat right?

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

Well said Callie. Why can't they have a little respect for the leader of our country!!!!

That is so cool you were there! One of my co-workers went and said he was freezing! How long were you guys standing outside?

Love the Cowboy cookies by the way-that is so cute:)