Sunday, January 11, 2009

Thanks, All ...

Warning: Cheesy post ahead. Read at your own discretion.

I am always in the mood for the Wicked soundtrack after I (finally) stop listening to Christmas music. So I generally put the CD on in the car at the beginning of January and play it on repeat until at least the middle of February. (Yes people, I still listen to CDs ... I am iPod free, thanks to my hatred of things in my ears. And I do not drive all that often, so no, I do not get sick of the same songs over and over.) Anyway, this means I have been listening to Wicked all week. And after receiving phone calls, packages, notes and texts from all of my favorite people this weekend, I just could not resist posting the lyrics to my favorite song and saying thanks, people, for everything ... 27 might not be so bad after all ...

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you ...

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend ...

Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done you blame me for
But then, I guess we know
There's blame to share
And none of it seems to matter anymore

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood

Like a ship blown from it's mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird in a distant wood

Who can say if I've been
Changed for the better?
I do believe I have been
Changed for the better
Because I knew you
I have been changed for good ...

6 comments:

Erica Huff said...

Happy Birthday!! I meant to post yesterday but things got crazy. I hope you had a wonderful birthday and may 27 be your best year yet!

Nicole said...

I have tickets to see Wicked in March and I can hardly wait!?!?!? Should I get the soundtrack now and start listening to it or wait until after I see the show? Oh and Happy Happy Birthday!

J. said...

I had to listen to that song like 10 times after your post. I really hope you had a great bday.

emm said...

When I read your blog, I either laugh out loud or shed a tear or two. I am glad you had such a wonderful birthday. Truly, I am so grateful to have had you as a friend since kindergarten. A. and I were so lucky to ride our bikes around the block to meet you at your nana's house... I saw Wicked for the first time this past fall. I cried my eyes out. I hope that I can take you out for a birthday dinner/lunch/breakfast soon...perhaps this weekend. :)

Anna said...

I love that song as well. And I too, listen to Wicked on repeat for months at a time. Chris finally sneaked it out of the car and hid it so I would stop. Seems mean, huh? :)

Hope your birthday was wonderful! I'm glad I got to share a bit of it with you! Love ya

Sally said...

I love the Wicked soundtrack!! Great song to post--and Happy Birthday! :) Hope all is well--congrats on making it over the hump in law school!