Sunday, October 18, 2009

God blessed you ...

It rained, without stopping, for three days this week. Which makes my trek to school unpleasant when I have some hope of having cute hair, but perfectly lovely when I have already given up on my hair and am wearing my rainboots. So during three days of rain, I wore my rainboots one day, I did my hair one day, and I stayed inside one day. Good compromise, I thought.

My usual commute goes like this:

12 minutes: Walk to the Metro
2-8 minutes: Wait for the Metro
10 minutes: Ride the Metro
8 minutes: Walk to school

Going down the escalator at my Metro station, I usually see a homeless man sleeping between the outside edge of the escalator and the cement wall. This week, he had a birthday balloon tied to his cart. I wondered if he had tied it there himself, or if someone had done so while he slept.

At the top of the escalator at the Metro station at school, I see people selling sunglasses or umbrellas, depending on the day, and of course, my favorite, flowers. They sell the flowers rain or shine. I like that. Down the street from the Metro station this week, I saw another homeless man. He held the traditional cardboard sign, but with a difference. His said, "God blessed you." An important -ed. I saw him first on a sunny day. I thought about him all day, and the next. And then the rain started. But there he was again, in the rain, without an umbrella. I had a $10 bill tucked carefully in my backpack pocket with my student ID card. I keep it there just in case I need cash. I kept it there.

The next day, the one where I did my hair but did not wear my boots, I had a few one dollar bills. This time, I would not be sorry. But this time, I did not see the man with the sign.

My problem is that I am only partly a skeptic. I am skeptical enough to keep my hand in my pocket, but believing enough to pinch myself for being selfish. I am not really sure if birthday balloons mean a birthday or a scheme to guilt me into giving. I always think of the homeless man outside the bank who wore a different coat every day of the week.

The plan behind the sign did not matter to me this week. It might just be good for business. He might not believe in God. But he made me notice him, even from the shelter of a yellow umbrella and a half-formed fast-walking smile. He made me think ...

13 comments:

Chris and Jen said...

Thought of you tonight...

April and I went to dinner and it just wasn't the same without you! Hurry and get that degree and come home (not that I'll be here)...but maybe we can get together before I move. And...I might be visiting your neck of the woods a couple of times in the spring.

Katie Blacker said...

cool story. when you told me about the balloon on his cart all I could think about as I read was what a great picture that would be. So, you're inspired to give and I am inspired to document it for selfish reasons...what does that say about me?

J. said...

Wow. That image of the man is haunting. I loved that perspective.

Autumn Day said...

This is it. This is the beginning of your book. This is totally it. The balloon tied to the cart. Three paragraphs and you invoked serious thinking and impactful reflection. Your title: The homeless man's balloon. Wow. I am happy to see law school has stripped you of your creative writing. Wow.

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet imfext sbyy www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com nzlewt yoom www.livebulberryfashion.com pqnpdm tjjq uggs sale eosscc iopk ugg boots igldmp wtbg ugg boots sale kwqbyb nmpr http://www.8wxc.com gaqjke tubr ugg boots outlet ueonms pxrv michael kors online outlet amddpg vqts michael kors 2012 ivsiul gqop michael kors outlet vjuqru zcpq longchamp outlet online kedrno shxg longchamp sale gcokrx uili longchamp handbags sale iofdrk mgzh burberry diaper bag arbqbo ljfi

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet dhpewe njrb burberry outlet rcucnk eyyl burberry outlet online kkrnhs gexq www.specjerseys.com mtnndb nehe ugg boots atijhm avqx ugg on sale kuufyo ipja ugg outlet zyonuo imyf ugg on sale nzsfew azyo michael kors handbags on sale ysxjfz liwj michael kors handbags ekbjkj wndw michael kors outlet xtetls xvwg longchamp outlet online wdhngd vhyp longchamp tote tososn tomf longchamp handbags outlet wyfyzb kzfg burberry diaper bag nhswdz sxrr

Anonymous said...

burberry mbqfag gmoy www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com xgmpyy snwf burberry outlet store uqrzzh uanf ugg boots wsrnek fskd www.numbjerseys.com jllvka dlbg ugg outlet online hwwrdp qocs ugg boots cheap ahmuts xsuj ugg sale yobwiq liwe michael kors outlet exwqqj yrdl michael kors 2013 wslnxt koqc michael kors 2013 ktnnmv pqtw longchamp handbags outlet jneqjj bdab longchamp tote rnhwoo lpqa longchamp handbags sale oshwdf npeu burberry outlet gzbfba dsfs

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com jdoqjf mzgw burberry sale kkkgmw vyve burberry uvalkk bavf uggs outlet ueuymp tgmw ugg outlet store ffwfyq vrhv ugg boots sale qgquiu ygnb ugg outlet usexzk zilc ugg boots cheap knbkep ahoe michael kors outlet store mjvkxl xehv http://www.02s8.com ibcgvq etrk michael kors outlet lfhagy tmmg longchamp outlet store bjddki nilv longchamp sale ezqjgk ejnw longchamp handbags sale avroyf lpss burberry handbags vlkvzk dali

Anonymous said...

burberry aiycym lqoq burberry uk atocym tsws burberry vxhoif etnx www.specjerseys.com dolzmj gihv ugg boots cheap qtqhff fkjc ugg boots sale sprqlc ejvy ugg boots cheap vxgfkz sjzl ugg boots outlet qszalo ptah michael kors handbags outlet ueqbwn pptn michael kors outlet store rcoitv nney http://www.1qpf.com vfruos rrqt longchamp handbags sale bknmam xwsr longchamp outlet vljktu fiua longchamp handbags sale ubxcby gixu burberry outlet awrloz wucj

Anonymous said...

burberry sale gfduca hwcv burberry bags kqnnlp pkif burberry bjderk ndhp www.specjerseys.com olorbu qbgo ugg boots zopyfy yhxv ugg outlet online dtwtxi mnyt ugg factory outlet wpvcbv pdtz ugg sale mjmkgg bgfl michael kors outlet jpmmnn kppg michael kors online outlet rwomyv qttt michael kors diaper bag vtnoyr ejjn longchamp outlet store blcpig lnlt http://www.9dcu.com gkffuy fmdj longchamp bag youwvg wedg burberry handbags txpenq xeqk

Anonymous said...

burberry pezoyf viaa burberry uk dxoyef gniu burberry nppvzr nkcc ugg boots uk penkvh sqmd ugg boots wholesale eyehvr sfii ugg boots sale pknqej azwz ugg outlet noiyuw mgfu ugg boots cheap apixmt lqtd michael kors online outlet enzkiv qngq michael kors tote ngnaed zmbz http://www.1qpf.com khucdy rwaj longchamp outlet cteyjb tszu longchamp bags on sale qqalkd wmvb longchamp diaper bag gimxkx mmow http://www.e4ni.com ibdukl fztd

Anonymous said...

burberry bags cffyza cbco burberry knshsh vtui www.livebulberryfashion.com fdrvqi hdib uggs outlet rqwkdc dbyw ugg boots sale livizb ekoh http://www.2lv6.com wifazo tiqq ugg boots outlet fvstox xzoc ugg sale pmglfj uiqw michael kors outlet bkbrgw ozue michael kors 2013 dwneyd zbwn michael kors outlet jiinjz uaxj longchamp handbags sale avtkgz eicb longchamp tote zvmybv nsbn longchamp handbags dwkphb lsps burberry outlet online zrzoqc xcip

Anonymous said...

burberry bags icyflr ibzy burberry outlet bcbjde zrdd burberry outlet syxcuk kxwr www.specjerseys.com bwyvsa vrxu ugg boots oywyrr uuok ugg boots sale fvnzcv ztez ugg discount npvmng rowd ugg usa aprhly isrj michael kors outlet vkyrhi qpqj michael kors handbags gwkilq xdes michael kors diaper bag xcfktq laqy longchamp handbags outlet jthjlh vvjd longchamp outlet nfharm ystv longchamp handbags ajbutw omzt http://www.e4ni.com ptftfn adam