Friday, November 6, 2009

A little note ...

Dear Professor Who Sounds Like Joan Cusack,

My last name is an actual word. A verb, to be exact, and one that you read every Sunday in the store ads you get with your newspaper. It is not pronounced boy-ees. Or boo-iss. Which were your last two attempts in class. If you expect me to decipher boring and complicated subjects like the one you teach, and you expect me to master them enough to actually attempt to answer your questions in class, I expect you to learn how to read my last name. Or, as a compromise, we can agree that you will never learn how to pronounce my last name and thus you will never again call on me in class. I feel really great about that idea.

Thanks,

Callie

P.S. I would also like it if you never asked me to do any math in class. Yes, I still remember yesterday, when you called on me and the answer involved doing some multiplication in my head. I know you think it is easy when one of the numbers is 100,000, but I think it is easy when my last name is an actual word. So now we are back where we started. Except that I lucked out and answered one of the math questions correctly. You, I am afraid, still mangled my name ...

5 comments:

Megan said...

Hilarious! People always ask me how to spell my last name. Seriously? Did these people not go to elementary school?

Kallee said...

Your letters kill me. I think they should be syndicated - kind of like a reverse "Dear Abby."

Joni said...

Now I'm dying to know which professor this is! I don't think I had her because I would have definitely remembered a Joan Cusack sound-alike.

Katie Blacker said...

i love the candid letters. they are probably my favorite thing about your blog!

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

This is so great Cal, you tell that professor! Great job answering the math question on the spot-even when I could figure out a problem, I would always stumble when I was put on the spot!