Sunday, November 15, 2009

New York at Christmastime ...

Yes, in the land of Capital C, it is already Christmastime, and it has been for the past 14 days, for the record. So this weekend, I went to New York City for two reasons: 1) to see Heather, and 2) to see the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall. I loved the show. Everyone should go. Or at least everyone who loves Christmas should go. I also loved the self-termed Irish lassie sitting next to me. She wore a red flannel plaid skirt and a wreath pin, spoke with a great accent, and told me all about her son. And how she has gone to the show for 40 years. She loves it. Clearly, we are kindred spirits. The other highlights of the weekend included walking through Central Park, drinking apple cider at the Union Square farmer's market (or is it farmers' market?! Kallee, I am sure we discussed this at one point), catching up with Emily while eating delicious chocolate, and last but certainly not least, finally going to the Strand bookstore, which has 18 miles of books on four levels. I loved that too ...

At Central Park, taking what I like to call a "special picture." For some reason I find great satisfaction in being able to take a picture of ourselves without asking a random stranger to do so. It feels like a great accomplishment. I might be a bit too independent for my own good.


Another special picture. This one in Radio City.



What the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree looks like before the lights and ornaments. Autumn, I do not think this quite meets the definition of a poor little Christmas tree standing all alone.

Christmas decorations ...


4 comments:

Jennie La said...

Ah I'm jealous, that looks so fun. NYC at Christmas time! ( and yes, notice I said Christmas and it's before Thanksgiving).

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

For the record, I love the braids:) I should have worn them myself! Although I don't think anything would have helped my unattractive-ness that day:) I think the farmer's market hot cider was my favorite:)

Katie Blacker said...

so so fun! I love the building that looks like a present! awesome!!!!

Megan said...

Um, you burst my bubble by putting up the picture of the tree. It's not a real tree??? I know this is irrational, but I always thought that the Rockerfeller Christmas tree was a real tree. Sad.