Thursday, September 13, 2007

You Will Never Be Younger Than Today ...

You know you have really arrived when eighth graders read your writing in English class. So, thanks to my favorite junior high school teacher (well, not my teacher ... my friend who IS a teacher), I have arrived. But this recent publicity (please note the sarcasm here, people) adds some pressure to my posting. Now I really need to think of more studious themes. Today's theme: time. More specifically, the times of my life.
  • Every day at exactly 12:13 on my watch, the bells on the clock tower at school start ringing. I am not sure of the song, and I am REALLY not sure why it starts at 12:13.
  • The people in my classes (myself included) still arrive freakishly early, so we are always ready long before the time our class actually begins. One of our professors, who also arrives early, always stands at the podium for a few minutes before class officially starts. We all stop talking and stare at him, and he stares at us. Then we all stare at the clock. And as soon as the clock shows EXACTLY 9:55 a.m., 1:40 p.m. or 11 a.m. (this class starts at a different time every day, do not ask me why) he starts his lecture and we all start laughing.
  • Today someone told me that he felt old to be turning 23. I did not tell him how old I am. Then, just one hour later, I heard an entirely different person in my class tell another person that she makes fun of her husband for being so old. He is 25. Which leads me to the title of this post, the lyrics (maybe even the title, I am not sure and I am too lazy to investigate) to the song playing when I began this entry. I found it quite fitting, and an example of ...
  • Perfect timing. Another example: Today I felt strange and unsettled for some reason (which really surprised me, since I am wearing a new shirt and that usually signifies a good day) and by the time I came home from school I really just wanted to go to bed. But lo and behold, I had received a package from my dear friend (the teacher from the first paragraph, who I will not name because I like to protect identities). Anyway, it had my favorite treats inside and completely made my day ... even though I will never be younger than today ...

1 comment:

M said...

Love this post...love your writing! (Do I know this teacher of whom you speak?)