Saturday, January 26, 2008

An Announcement, A Confession, An Op-Ed ...

The Announcement:
I can now parallel park. Finally. Maybe it came with the 10-year driving milestone, or finally getting a new driver's license without my 16-year-old picture. But I have successfully parallel parked on my first try three times in as many weeks. And I am quite proud of it.

The Confession:
I am less proud that I watched the Miss America Pageant tonight. I admit I have always had a strange fascination with that ridiculous affair. So tonight, I went to my friend M's apartment (not baking M., for the record) with the express purpose of watching the pageant. But really. Watching 16 women strut around the stage in high heels and bikinis (OK, 15 women in bikinis ... Miss Utah wore a one-piece) embarrassed me. The host gave the typical disclaimer that the swimsuit portion of the contest shows off physical fitness. Um, yeah. Right. If they really wanted to do that, I think a tank top, shorts and running shoes would suffice. Might as well be honest and say we want our Miss America to look like Barbie, since we obviously do. (I exclude Miss Utah from these stereotypes. Any girl willing to serve in the military, and then enter pageant world, should definitely win some sort of award. Maybe a Purple Crown?)

The Op-Ed:
Click here to read it in the NYT. Interesting opinion from Caroline Kennedy about Obama. Not sure I agree with every word, but I certainly hope he gets the nomination ...

No comments: