Friday, January 4, 2008

I'm Back ...

Here I am, back in D.C., and back to Capital C. I am excited to be back. Mostly because a) I have a comfy bed, which nobody stole or destroyed during the three weeks my apartment remained uninhabited b) the weather feels slightly warmer than the less-than-freezing temperatures at home and c) this semester I am taking Constitutional Law. And I am happy about that. For now at least. And more on that later. I am also disappointed to be back. Mostly because a) I like my family b) I like my friends and c) I like to see people I like.

OK, back to Constitutional Law. Today I read a few Federalist Papers on the plane. (For an assignment, not simply for my entertainment. I am not that nerdy.) A few sentences made me think of the current political state in general and a certain governor currently running for pastor-in-chief in specific. (Hint: I do NOT heart Huckabee.) Worst case scenario, on November 5, after I stop crying, I might simply say that James Madison predicted it back in 1787, in Federalist No. 10: "Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."

And now, an important announcement: I got a camera for Christmas. So now my random prattle will more likely be accompanied by a random photo. Like these:


My bags. Yes, I transported them home from the airport all by myself. I decided to avoid the Metro and brave a taxi, however. Best $10 I have spent all week. Can you imagine me wheeling all of this baggage to the Metro, through the mall and across the street to my apartment, all at rush hour? Yeah, me neither.


Guess what, boys. Not only can I read and write (we all know doing arithmetic does not really happen for me) but I can also make it from the airport, to my apartment, to Costco, to the grocery store and home in an hour and 30 minutes. Seriously. I am pretty proud of myself. I think I am officially the fastest grocery shopper in the universe ...

3 comments:

Holly and Dave said...

Callie, I am thoroughly impressed! Costco itself takes me an hour and a half. you'll find me somewhere in there between the fruit smoothie samples and the endless supply of books and dvd's. I am improving my time at the grocery store though. The produce section is the hardest- I always have to find just the right one!

Anonymous said...

I happen to know from personal experience that you are definately fast at shopping, among other things. Some may even call you "fast Callie" from days past. I'm so glad you're home save and loving it. BUT...I miss you already! Can't wait to start planning our summer visit! Love you!

M said...

I love your blog - love your words. It was so good to see you, even for a few minutes. I think the Salt Lake Girls need to plan a trip to see you and Em. Soon!
Martha