Monday, October 22, 2007

The Big Apple ...

Do not be fooled. This post does NOT mean the end of my Internet woes, which thus far include:
  • An hour and a half on the phone with the Verizon man
  • A half hour with the first GW Help Desk person
  • An hour with the first Dell chat person
  • A half hour with the second GW Help Desk person (who then told me to call Dell)
  • Ten minutes with the second Dell chat person (who then told me to call someone else)
Moral of the story? I really, really, really dislike computers in general right now and mine in specific. And maybe this would not happen if I owned an Apple computer. (Mostly I just added that sentence to tie the computers to my next topic ...)

In happier times, before I returned home to electronic turmoil, I had a lovely weekend in New York City with my pals H., K., and E. So, for a change, I will report photographically ... but first I should note that, like a worm, I ate my way through the Big Apple. Unlike a worm, I also walked. A lot. Basically I walked and ate for two days. No lie. And let me also note that yes, I did do my hair before traveling to such a stylish city. But it happened to be raining the entire first day. And remember my broken umbrella? So there went my hair (and let us all please refrain from actually looking at it in these photos) ...


On Day One, after a lengthy, rainy bus ride where I discovered that I really like looking at people in the cars below, I met H. for lunch. Then we walked around and met K., who works in the building with this evidently famous sculpture thing out front.


Then we ate dinner at a place with the best onion rings I have ever tasted.
Then we walked around Times Square.


Then we went to Starbucks and had apple cider with E. Then we walked to the subway and to H. and K.'s adorable apartment with a fantastic view of the city just across the river.

This would be us walking across the Brooklyn Bridge on Day Two (you know this because the sky is blue, not cloudy and gray, and the photo is clear, not misty).


The line at this famous place starts forming 20 minutes before it opens. We opted to walk around the wharf (or pier ... like I know the difference) instead of being first in line ...

Yummy pizza, with the gang. In the front, you see my lovely hosts, H. and K.


The gang again, on the wharf/pier, with the skyline in the background.
On the topic of buildings, let me say that K. can name basically all of them, and this after living in the city for only two months. He also knows how to get anywhere in the city, including the bathroom at Macey's. Seriously. With K. around, I never had to worry about how to get anywhere, except home. Which I returned to all too quickly ...

I have now logged off and on successfully ... once ... and I am quite happy about it. In fact, I consider it a miracle (and I am not being facetious) ...

3 comments:

J. said...

I love that post. It is funny and as usual a bright spot in my day...it makes me want to go to NYC ASAP! I have got to start planning:) I'm sorry about your computer woes nothing is more frustrating. Your pics are adorable as usual.

J. said...

p.s. "Apple" computers are awesome. The fam just bought one. I want that to be my next lab top. As for the Big Apple, would you go with me there even though you've been there a number of times?!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Grimaldi's! I'm so jealous you got to go there!

Julie