Monday, March 17, 2008

My Lucky Day ...

So this morning before class, instead of looking at cases, I looked at your limericks. I loved them all. Then I got to class, where the professor (who wrote our casebook) announced that we would be discussing the most difficult case in the book. And then he called on me to explain it. I did not think it would be fortuitous to say that I enjoyed reading your limericks more than reading his casebook, so I muddled through his questions. But I loved your limericks less after that. Still, you all deserve a prize for humoring me and and writing such fine poetry. In the pursuit of justice and courage and decisiveness and assorted other virtues, however, I will not be one of those people who invents a contest and then cannot decide the winner so just randomly chooses. I hate that. And I cannot send you all a prize, anyway, because I am a poor law student with no summer internship. But since I did have more entries than expected, I am choosing winners in different categories. So now, without further ado ... the winners of the inaugural Capital C limerick contest:

Best Content (or, best appeal to my inner desires):

She only likes poems with rhymin'
And dreams of wedding Josh Lyman
Then her sister will marry my bro
When he gets some sense and some dough.
We just gotta work on the timin'!
{By K.}

Best Rhy
me and Word Choice (or, best use of a word I had to look up on dictionary.com and am definitely now going to use for more than just describing vegetable dip):

There was once an old lady called Lilly
Who thought limericks were quite silly
But she sat down to write
To her granddaughter's delight
And came up with one that was a dilly.
{By J.L., otherwise known as N.}

Best Use of Life Experiences (or, best at forcing me to choose between the travails of my friends): E. in the married category, and L. in the single category because her usage of 'breed' made me laugh out loud. N., the runner up in using life experiences, will also win a prize for being first to submit. UNFORTUNATE UPDATE: Due to some unforeseen complications, this category of winners will now receive a different (but still green, delicious and highly desirable) prize.

I moved with two kids and a man
We packed up our big moving van
To my current holding cell
That seems like pure hell
But I picked up a wonderful tan!
{By E.}

By profession I teach kids to read
But instead I would rather breed
Kids of my own
Until they're full grown
But alas, this has led me to greed!
{By L.}

There once was a mom of two kids
In afternoons, noise she forbids
but nap they would not
and peace can't be bought
They might as well bang on pot lids.
{By N.}

And now, a final word about the Shamrock Shakes. I discovered them almost exactly five years ago, when my friends and I took a jaunt to the Emerald Isle during our London study abroad. Yes, I first experienced all the green flavors in Ireland during the week of St. Patrick's Day! Which makes this prize more valuable than a pot of gold! Now, evidently only the Irish McDonald's locations and some "select" others still offer Shamrock Shakes. Luckily for K. and J.L., the one by Cottonwood Mall IS one of the "select." E., L., and N., your slightly varied prize will be redeemable at any McDonald's ...

P.S. WINNERS: You must e-mail me your mailing address immediately so you can receive your certificate before the end of March!
P.P.S. EVERYONE: Thanks for entering!

3 comments:

Erica Huff said...

Callie, you have always been so creative! That was really clever. Congratulations to all the winners!!

Tracie said...

Callie:

I'm bugged that I didn't read your blog until after the deadline - I know I would have won some sort of prize for my writing ability! I did think that "N"s limerick was very clever. Who knew she had it in her? The pictures turned out great - we had such a fun visit. The power outage just made the trip more memorable.

Rick and Janae said...

So I did not enter, but I saw your blog and the I was si impressed with your love of the shamrock shake we went to two different McDonald's yesterday to make sure we had one for St Patty's Day.