Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Shamrock Shakes And Rhyming Poems ...

At my former place of employment, we had an annual limerick contest to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. My friend J. has informed me that this contest has begun. I imagine that since I am no longer a blue-checkered-shirt-wearing, video-script-writing banker girl, I am ineligible to compete. So, I am hosting my own competition. Anyone (and everyone, since my readership has dwindled) can post a limerick on the comments list of this page by no later than March 16. (Or, if you know my e-mail address, send it to me. But I am not posting that address here. Highly classified information should not be out and about on the World Wide Web.) On St. Patrick's Day, I will post the winning entries on my blog for all to read. AND there will be a fabulous prize: Shamrock Shakes. Now, I am aware that many (most) blog readers do not live near me. This will actually be beneficial, because I have not yet located these most delightful of green delicacies here. (Not for lack of trying. I went to two different places one day last week.) Anyway, those who live far away will receive coupons for Shamrock Shakes. So, enter my contest. Please!

Now, if you finished the seventh grade a long, long time ago and no longer remember how to write a limerick, you can relearn this skill on Wikipedia, or you can keep checking my blog for the next few days until I post a sample entry. The most important quality to remember (which you really should if you want to win) is that I only like poetry that rhymes. And since I am judging this little competition, my opinion is the law here ...

2 comments:

Nicole said...

OK dear cousin...I have 2 silly little limericks for you today (more to come for sure).

There once was an Oregon gal
Who happened upon a new trowel
oh the garden she'd plant
and the weeds would be scant
Never again would she scowl!

There once was a mom of two kids
In afternoons, noise she forbids
but nap they would not
and peace can't be bought
They might as well bang on pot lids.

Brooke said...

Sorry C. this is not the best limerick I can write but my finals are on Monday!

There was a girl in the valley
Who loved a woman named C____
They lived far away
Too much money they pay
Instead they should go to Bali