Sunday, March 9, 2008

My Wild Weekend ...

I never thought I would use the above title to describe a weekend with my parents. Actually, I might be the first person in the world to do this. Then again, I do have abnormally fun parents, so I guess the title could be quite easily imagined. But I definitely never thought I would take 20-plus photos of frogs in the span of two days. So there you go. But both strange occurrences did happen, so here I am.

My parents flew into town for my spring break. (Not Spring Break. Different kind of wild here people. Think animal kingdom wild.) We went to a frog exhibit at the National Geographic Museum, a butterfly exhibit at the Natural History Museum, and then to Baltimore to see the National Aquarium. Pretty wild stuff ...

Mom, outside the National Geographic Museum. She really loves frogs. And if you ask nicely, she will tell you about catching tadpoles as a girl. And yes, we saw tadpoles too. I think seeing her long-lost daughter and a whole case full of squirming tadpoles at the same time brought a tear to her eye. OK, maybe not. But it made for an interesting caption. OK, maybe not ...

Not the clearest of the many, many frog photos. But this one has personality. If you want a clear photo of a frog, you really chose the completely wrong blog. (Yes, I am rhyming. That makes this caption a poem. Which makes me think of the annual limerick contest at the bank. K., I predict you will win again ...)

Again, I go for character, not clarity. Evidently a theme for me lately, just ask my writing teacher. But that depressing story belongs in another post. This photo made me think of the bank, too. A., I do not think you read this, but K. and J. sometimes do, so maybe they will tell you (for me) to have fun with the butterflies and the museum ...

If I ever win a prize for greatest photo, which of course I will not, it will be for this photo. And I will call it Alligator Eye. I am not sure if this eye and its reflection belong to an alligator or a crocodile, but alligator sounds better for the title of a prize-winning photo.

Finally. The end. And a normal photo with my fabulous parents ...

Oops. Almost the end. I could not photograph (seriously, federal agents would have arrested me) the most interesting part of the weekend: Seeing millions of dollars (no exaggeration here, I promise) at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, where we took a tour and where you can buy a sheet of 32 uncut one-dollar bills for $55 ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We got the "call for limericks" e-mail today and I thought of you. Thanks for mentioning my initial on your blog. I am honored! :)