Monday, August 27, 2007

Hugging Can Be Hazardous ...

I consider law school a success already, in that it has now provided me with a semi-legitimate reason to avoid my least favorite social practice: superfluous hugging. Now, before people start calling me a misanthrope, let me clarify. I like hugging in some varieties: the I-am-dating-you variety (and my mom breathes a sigh of relief), the you-are-closely-related-to-me variety (another sigh of relief from my mom) and the we-are-really-good-friends variety. What I do not like (and basically avoid if at all possible) are those other types of hugging that happen so often: the we-only-met-two-hours-ago-but-I-paid-for-your-dinner variety and the we-once-spoke-to-each-other-in-high-school variety, to name just two of the many, many examples. Well, in my torts class today, we read a case about a man who gave a "friendly, unsolicited hug" to a rather shy person. This jovial fellow just wanted to be friendly, I am sure. But this seemingly harmless little hug injured the poor girl's face and caused it to be paralyzed on one side. Yes. I am not lying. You can look up the case yourself: Spivey v. Battaglia. I feel so vindicated ...

5 comments:

emm said...

cal
i never knew you had a blog. hilarious! i am laughing out loud in my room. i am loving it all. so, how is dc? how is law school? i am supposed to meet with heather this week, but we are playing phone tag. in the meantime, i am apartment hunting, moving to my cousin's apartment for the waiting time, and not knowing what i am teaching in the fall. tonight at fhe you would have been proud: i talked to missionaries and two new people. :)

J. said...

Callie, I think you were meant to write this blog because I need to use it in my classes! I'm talking about hyphenated modifiers and your entry is chuck full of them; plus they're funny- so may I have permission? Plus it's something out in the real world. Callie hugs are great by the way.

Unknown said...

I am firmly planted in the Callie Buys camp of limited to no hugging(see Callies noted exceptions). In fact I my press legal charges against my last blind date for emotional distress cause by the bad date side hug. I am also in painful need of some Pro Bono contract law, legal advice for the verbal contract I entered into (under extreme duress) for a second date after aforementioned hug. What is the penalty for breaking a blind date, duressed induced, verbal contract?
Wow - law it tricky

Tracie said...

Callie:
You said I would enjoy this blog and I certainly do! I'm very relieved to know that I am one of the lucky few who can get a hug and not feel threatened by a lawsuit!! Olivia is here with me right now and she's probably one of the lucky ones who is entitled to a hug too!! She says to tell you that she loves you!

Anonymous said...

Každý si zaslouží sexy partnera, který mu pri sexu
v Liberci poskytne to, co potrebuje - free sex a divoké noci plné vášne.

Proto je seznamka oblíbena mezi tolika lidmi – nemusíte premýšlet o složitém ovládání, seznamka vám dovolí soustředit se na vybírání toho pravého protejšku a hned se začít bavit bez dlouhého čekání a premýšlení.

Svoje fantazie mužete prezentovat anonymne a zcela uvolnene, nikdo vás jiste soudit nebude.


Feel free to visit my blog post; znamost