Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Real Law Student Now ...


According to George Washington, I am now an official law student. I have a student ID card, a student number, a locker ... more on that later, a class schedule and homework. Yes, barely eight hours into school (actually, eight hours into orientation ... classes do not start until Monday) I have homework. And I know I am a real law student because I am already avoiding that homework. Instead of reading the two cases I am supposed to be reading, I am blogging and watching the West Wing and planning what I am going to eat for dinner. (Caesar salad, I believe, with the pre-cooked chicken strips that make my life easier these days. I really miss the George Foreman grill.) Now back to the locker. I have one, and I even have a locker partner, luckily my roommate. And why do I need a locker? To store my $776.13 worth of law school books. YES. I spent nearly $800 on my books, which I cannot even carry. So I put half of them in my locker, and then carried the other half home in a conveniently awkward blue plastic crate. My arms still hurt from the experience, which could explain how I am justifying my current lack of studying. I plan to keep following my old rule for as long as possible: Only do one unpleasant task per day. Today, that task would definitely be carrying the really heavy crate the two blocks from the bookstore to my locker, the three blocks to the Metro, the three escalators to and from the Metro, and the three blocks from the Metro to the apartment. Ouch. I must say, a very helpful 2L guy did carry my crate for one of those blocks. But my arms still hurt ...

No comments: